She is an enigma wrapped in a little, blonde riddle.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Vegas Girl

Ever get a lightbulb moment at an inopportune time? Whenever the temperature is above freezing and nothing is coming down from the sky, I get my butt to the park to walk 3 miles. To make this pleasant, I listen to music. I do this for my health and because I like to bounce to pop music for an hour, but occasionally, it also helps generate ideas. That's what happened today.

I had just loaded a new song onto my iPod, so I put it on first. I've heard this song before several times. In fact, I picked it because it's called Vegas Girl, and my book series is set in Las Vegas. It's upbeat and fun. For some reason, when I heard it today, everything clicked in my brain. It's the perfect song to be playing when my fictional "dance team" puts on a show between hockey periods.

In On the Fly, the first book in the series, I had a pretty good time poking fun and rolling my eyes at the idea of cheerleaders in hockey. I made them kind of a joke. Well, listening to Vegas Girl and being able to see the routine in my head, I wanted to bust some moves right there in the park. I refrained, but the giant, Ah-ha! smile on my face probably confused some people.

Being able to see the routine fired off a what-if domino trail in my mind. How could I incorporate that into my current book, Full Strength? My heroine is the team's sports psychologist. What if a dancer stopped by her office and asked if she could have a session? What if when the dancer walked in, my heroine, Allie, happened to be dancing around her office because she wasn't expecting anyone? What if, after a helpful talk, the dancer asked Allie to join the team for practice one night? What if Allie went, had a blast, and my hero happened to see?

All this flew by in my head in less than a minute. I was so excited about it, I wrote myself a text message and saved the draft so I wouldn't forget by the end of my walk. So through my second heroine, Allie, I've decided to embrace the cheerleaders--er...dance team--my Lady Sinners. And all because of this song :)


4 comments:

  1. Excellent post, Katie. I love how a song gave you such inspiration! I also love your tag line - She is an enigma wrapped in a little, blonde riddle. Nice! May you have many, many sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deborah! I have to admit, the tag line is borrowed from one of my favorite shows, Psych :) Shawn says this about Juliet, and I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our HS hockey team had cheerleaders. I loved their uniforms and sweaters. Now our girls are on the ice with pads and sticks! Amazing what a few years can do. The girls just trounced in their game last night! Love it.

    Yes, music is very inspiring. I actually contacted the Red Hot Chili Peppers hoping they'd allow me to use some of their lyrics for Breaking the Girl in my book Forest Fires. It fit so perfectly. Sigh, they didn't get back to me. On tour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool post! I've never had a song inspire a story, but it does help me with my daily writing. I can't write without listening to music.

    ReplyDelete